2019-2020 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Nursing - Accelerated BSN Option (1.5 Years), BSN
Nursing - Accelerated BSN Option (1.5 Years) - Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Interim Dean School of Nursing and Health Sciences - Dr. Nicole Custer, RN, CCRN-K
BSN Coordinator - Sue Clark, MSN, RN
Designed for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree in any field. This program is a great option to get a jump start on a second career in nursing. Students holding a bachelor’s degree are waived from the College’s Core requirements. Students complete twelve credits in core science pre-requisites with a 2.3 GPA or better to enter the accelerated program.
Upon completion of the Pre-licensure Program, graduates will be prepared to give professional nursing care in a variety of health care settings, apply for master degree level study in nursing, and serve as leaders in society.
The following end of program student learning outcomes will be achieved by Mount Aloysius College Pre-licensure program graduates:
- Patient-Family Centered Care - Recognize the patient and family as a full partner in providing coordinated, compassionate, age- and culturally-appropriate care.
- Teamwork and Collaboration - Function effectively as a member of the interdisciplinary team fostering interprofessional and intraprofessional communication, mutual respect, and shared decision making to provide coordinated quality care.
- Evidence-Based Practice - Evaluate and integrate current research and evidence with clinical expertise in the delivery of quality healthcare and the improvement of health care processes and outcomes.
- Informatics - Employ information systems to communicate, manage knowledge, mitigate error, and support decision-making.
- Quality Improvement - Evaluate outcome data of patient care processes and employ improvement methods to improve the quality and safety of health care.
- Safety - Anticipate and minimize risk of harm to patients and other healthcare providers through both system effectiveness and individual performance.
- Professionalism - Demonstrate the values, ethics, and legal standards of the nursing profession; responsibility and accountability for own behaviors and decisions; and competent performance in nursing practice to ensure quality patient-centered care.
Admitted students who meet the following will be considered for matriculation into the traditional BSN option on a space available basis.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university;
- Demonstrate a minimum 2.5 CGPA on post-secondary education as verified by official transcript by time of matriculation into first nursing course;
- Demonstrate achievement of a composite score of 59% on the designated pre-entrance nursing exam (ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills - TEAS). The student has a maximum of two attempts on the exam to achieve a satisfactory score. Students who achieve a CGPA of 2.5 or better in the pre-requisite science courses will be waived from the TEAS exam;
- Completion of math remediation is required based on TEAS Math Sub score of <60%, must complete NursingABC MAT091;
- Completion of CHEM100, BIOL201, BIOL202, BIOL210 with a minimum C grade; and
- Demonstrate a CGPA of 2.3 in the science courses.
The student must complete the degree within three (3) years of starting the first nursing course.
Students must complete their final thirty (30) semester hours before graduation at Mount Aloysius College.