Feb 21, 2020
Department Chairperson - Dr. Merrilee Anderson
Enrollment in this degree is dependent upon completing an Associate degree in allied health which is typically four semesters and 60-67 credits. All B.S. degrees require 120 total credits, therefore, credit hours for electives will vary depending on the associate degree earned.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Leadership program meets the needs of students who want to assume a leadership position within a health care organization. The program is designed for students who have completed an Associate degree in the health sciences.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Leadership provides students with an opportunity to enrich their knowledge and skills in the fast growing field of health care. It provides curriculum in areas of the organizational structure of health care delivery, general leadership, and health care management, regulation, and law.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Leadership in Health Care and will be able to:
- Understand policies and regulations associated with health care delivery.
- Learn the principles of health care supervision and human resource management.
- Integrate the use of marketing, information technology, and strategic analysis and planning in health care services.
- Develop methods of communication and training incorporating teamwork and critical thinking skills used in health care administration.
- Understand the legal and ethical considerations that are unique to the health services field.
- ART, COMM, ENGL, MUSC, THEA 3 Credits
- ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, ENVS, GEOL, NASC, PHYS 3 Credits
Information Communication Technologies
- CRIM, ECON, GEOG, PSYC, SOCI, WGST 6 Credits
- Cultural Diversity 3 Credits
Integrated Discipline Capping
Total Credits in Core: 45 Credits
Major Course Requirements
Total Credits in Major: 36 Credits
Other Required Coursework
Total Credits in Other Required Coursework: 6 Credits
Associate Degree Major Coursework
- Students who graduated with an Associate of Science degree in the Medical Assistant program have 35 credits that will apply toward this degree.
- Students who graduated with an Associate of Science degree in the Medical Laboratory Technician program have 44 credits that will apply toward this degree.
- Students who graduated with an Associate of Science degree in the Physical Therapist Assistant program have 46 credits that will apply toward this degree.
- Students who graduated with an Associate of Science degree in the Surgical Technology program have 34 credits that will apply toward this degree.
Allied Health Associate Degree Graduates from Other Institutions
- Students who have graduated with an Associate of Science Allied Health degree from another institution will have applicable allied health credits applied towards their degree as transferred credit. Additionally, each student will have his or her transcript evaluated for transferable coursework towards core and other degree requirements. For a course to be eligible to transfer, it must be completed with a grade of C or better. A student may have more than 60 credits to complete depended on the courses completed in the associate degree program. All efforts will be made to maximize the transferability of the student’s previous coursework. Free elective requirements will be variable and will be determined upon the completion of the student’s transfer evaluation.
Total Credits for Associate Degree Coursework: 23-37 Credits
Total Credits for Free Electives: 0-2 Credits
Total Credits for Degree: 120 Credits