Department Chairperson - Dr. Jessica Jost-Costanzo
Interdisciplinary Studies offers students the unique opportunity to concentrate in two specific areas of study while developing a broad liberal arts background through a program of carefully selected electives. Students will choose two minors with non-overlapping courses as their programs of emphasis, and will fulfill the requirements for those minors, with at least 18 credits between the two programs at the 300-400 level, and fulfilling all other bachelor degree requirements.
Students seeking a Bachelor of Arts degree must choose two minors from the following list:
American Sign Language, Art, Choral Performance, English, Expressive Arts Therapy, History, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, or Theatre.
Otherwise, students will work toward a Bachelor of Science degree.
Upon completion of the program, each student will be able to:
- communicate information clearly and effectively both orally and in writing with integration of the two chosen minors;
- demonstrate an understanding of quantitative or qualitative scientific reasoning within the two chosen minors;
- demonstrate a base of content knowledge appropriate to the two areas of emphasis;
- show how moral and ethical perspectives influence research, theory, and/or applications in the two chosen minors; and
- meet the stated goals of the chosen minors.
For specific requirements, please consult the department chairperson.
Core Course Requirements
- ART, ENGL, MUSC, THEA 3 Credits
- ASTR, BIOL, CHEM, ENVS, GEOL, NASC, PHYS 3 Credits
Information Communication Technologies
- RLST or PHIL 3 Credits
- RLST 300/400 3 Credits
- CRIM, ECON, GEOG, PSYC, SOCI WGST 6 Credits
- Cultural Diversity: 3 Credits
Integrated Discipline Capping
Total Credits in Core: 45 Credits
Major Course Requirements
Students must declare two minors with non-overlapping courses as their programs of emphasis. Please see the Minors section of the catalog for each minor’s course requirements. Students must still earn 30 credits at the upper level to complete the degree. A student may have to take additional 300/400 level electives to reach the 30 credit total because not all minors include upper level courses.
- First Minor 18-24 Credits
- Second Minor 18-24 Credits
Total Credits in Major: 41-53 Credits
(Includes 3 credits in the core)
Total Credits of Free Electives: 25-37 Credits
Total Credits for Degree: 120 Credits