Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences
Department Chairperson - Dr. Paula Scaramozzino, R.T. (R)(MR)
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Imaging is designed to give students the skills needed to become tomorrow’s leaders in the field of medical imaging. Through preparation for more advanced work in specialty areas such as computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MR), quality management and mammography (QM/M), and ultrasonography (US), graduates are able to meet the challenges posed by advancing technology in the current health care environment. The student-focused curriculum includes a strong emphasis on liberal arts studies and professional courses in the advanced imaging modalities with a structured competency-based clinical education.
Additionally, through their development in the liberal arts, students will learn to provide patient care that is oriented and responsive, by displaying the attributes of compassion, competence and effective communication in meeting the special needs of the patient. Graduates will also learn to exercise independent judgment in the technical performance of medical imaging procedures by adapting the technical parameters of the procedure to the condition of the patient.
Upon completion of the Bachelor Degree Medical Imaging Program, graduates will:
- Apply global awareness of cultural and healthcare perspectives while exhibiting professional behaviors such as integrity, respect, and compassion;
- Participate in scholarly activities pertaining to the profession;
- Use technology skills to perform specialized imaging procedures while achieving professional competencies as currently defined by their respective professions;
- Lead individuals and/or groups and apply basic management skills toward attainment of shared goals in organizational or professional settings to contribute to the improvement of health care delivery;
- Identify, analyze, and solve a variety of scientific, clinical, psychosocial and/or managerial problems to appreciate the complexity of the health care system.